DSI defensive driving courses are Australia wide and equip new drivers & corporate customers with nationally recognised qualifications.
This defensive driving course includes theory and practical sessions to develop safe driving behaviour.
Drivers will drive their own vehicle during the practical components of this course (must be registered and subject to basic safety checks). All practical components are conducted at suburban traffic speeds and all relevant road laws must be adhered to at all times. There is no risk of damage to the vehicle if all instructions are followed.
All participants will be presented with a Certificate of Achievement for attending the course.
- Concentration and Attitude
- Risk Taking Behaviour
- Fatigue Awareness and Time Management
- Effects of Speed
- Vehicle Loading / Trailer Towing
- Trip Management
- Road Law
- Alcohol Awareness
- Drug Awareness
- Common Crash Scenarios
- Safety in the car
- Driving Position
- Steering Techniques
- System of Vehicle Control
- Braking Systems
- Emergency Procedures
- Defensive Driving Techniques
- Achieve a safe emergency stop on a wet road
- Apply hazard avoidance techniques
- Experience the effect of speed on stopping distance
- Apply vision skills
- Apply correct car control techniques
At the completion of the course it is expected that all drivers will demonstrate:
- An awareness of how risk taking and motivation can affect your safety on the road
- How to identify potential hazards and avoid them
- Improved vision while driving
- An understanding of the risks associated with alcohol, drugs and fatigue
- The importance of correct tyre pressures and condition of tyres
- The importance of seat belts and other safety devices in the vehicle
- How to minimise distractions and loose objects in the vehicle
- How to identify different braking systems and how to use them effectively
- How speed can effect stopping distances
- A responsible attitude to self, other road users and community
- How to apply defensive driving techniques
Defensive driver training can be provided on site or at any of our DSI Driver Training Venues.
*Successful completion of this course and all assessment items may entitle the driver to receive a nationally recognised qualification. Please contact the office for more information.